Thursday, September 12, 2013

Intros....

Let's be honest here....I know I'm not the only one in this world who has realized this thing called a professional life is an uphill battle. Like, mountain-esqe.

I'm also starting this blog out of sheer frustration. I need a place to vent, ok?

Allow me to start at the beginning. I did two years at the local junior college, trying to find out what exactly I wanted to do with my life. Changed my mind about nursing, fell into journalism. Went on to a four-year to complete my Bachelor's in communications. Honestly, I still had no real direction. I grew to dislike journalism (the interviewing...the reporting...the horror!) but still enjoyed writing and media whatnots. Looking back, I really should have done more research and self-discovery before graduation....

After I graduated with my degree and a collection of respectable internships, jobs, and portfolios, I began the job search.....which lasted a year. I was gainfully unemployed for a year. Yeah. True, I was stubborn, selfish, and maybe a bit high on myself; call me crazy though: I had a four year degree, darnit. I shouldn't have to work at Target or Kohl's to support myself.

Anyway, I finally got a job at my hometown's newspaper, almost a year to the day that I graduated. And let me tell you...I hated it. I was reminded daily why I fell out of love with journalism. So while I was working, I was also looking for the next job.

And I found it! It was one of those jobs that you apply to just for giggles, knowing there's no chance you'll ever be considered. But I was. It sounded awesome...working in education, student interaction, summers off!

Turns out, it was a lot better on paper than in real life. No student interaction. My days are spent at a desk browsing Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook....all day. Every day. Not that it's my job (I wish...) but because they really don't have anything else for me to do.

So, I've been working for peanuts--seriously, my 17 year old sister makes 50 cents less than I do as a hotel housekeeper--getting paid once a month, and generally miserable for the last year. And because I'm slightly crazy and moreso afraid of being unemployed again, I renewed my contract.

Hi, my name is Misty, I'm 24, I live with my parents, and I feel stuck. And poor.

My aim for this blog is to share my struggles and experiences. I'll be posting links and articles that I think are informative, helpful, and/or funny At times I'm sure it will read like a diary and others like an advice column.

Keep your feet on the ground, folks. We're all in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment